HOME           SHOP           ABOUT           FEATURED         SUBSCRIBE         FAVORITE BLOGS           COLLAB         CONTACT          

Friday, December 28, 2012

10 Home Remedies for Seasonal Affective Disorder

Hey ladies! How was everone's Christmas?

I'm recovering from a major flu, a throat & lung infection! Christmas for me was hell.. I couldn't eat anything and nothing excited me, I only wanted to go to bed, boohoo. This is the second week I've been sick and I'm just not getting my old self back.. seems like I have a flu / Seasonal Affective Disorder combo. The days are very short and cold, the lack of natural light really affects me. Oh, how I miss the warm sun.. I need some Spring!
For those of you who suffer from seasonal affective disorder as well, here is a list of ten things you can do at home or during your daily routine that can help ease those winter blues. If you have any other remedies that aren’t on the list below, please!

Lots of Love,
Lucia


1. Get your daily dose of sunlight

Try and pull yourself out of bed a little bit early each day, allowing yourself some morning sunlight time – go for a run, take a walk, ride your bike, it’s up to you. If you can’t get out in the morning (or if it’s still dark when you wake up), make an effort to take a lunch break and sit outside for a bit during the day. The added time in the sun (even if it’s cold out!) will work wonders for your mental well-being.

2. Exercise!

Getting your heart rate up and breaking a sweat is a sure way to raise serotonin and endorphin levels – this will be especially beneficial if you do it in the morning.

3. Eat foods containing tryptophan

Many who suffer from seasonal depression experience decreased levels of serotonin, the brain’s neurotransmitter. Tryptophan is an amino acid known to be a precursor of serotonin, so eating foods that contain it may increase your body’s production of serotonin, thus making you feel better. Turkey, spinach, bananas, seafood, and egg whites are rich in tryptophan.

4. Cut back on stimulants like caffeine, alcohol and carbs

They might make you feel better short-term but with every high comes a low, and these can lead to mood swings that can deepen your depression.

5. Fill your home with light

Open up the blinds and let those rays in – not only will they act as a natural form of warmth in your home but every added bit of light you can bring into your home will go a long way.

6. DIY time!

Now that you’re not spending every waking moment outdoors, you have plenty of time to get crafting.

7. Use essential oils

Essential oils can be powerful mood-lifters. Jasmine oil is a great anti-depressant that stimulates beta brain wave activity and can make you feel euphoric. Citric oils like lemon can also stimulate the autonomic nervous system and have a similar effect.

8. The warmth of color

Wear and surround yourself with warm colors. Yellow, orange, and red can stimulate your mood greatly!

9. Try something new

Enroll in a class that interests you – whether it is yoga, photography, cooking, you name it! It will give you something to look forward to and take your mind off the gloomy winter days.

10. Laugh out loud!

Laughter is the best medicine – it may sound simple but it’s so true! Laughter stimulates endorphins much like exercise. Take some time to watch your favorite sitcom or comedy films and let yourself laugh out loud. It’s the easiest and most effective way to make yourself feel better!

Source: Free People

16 comments:

  1. This post couldn't come to me in a better time. I love all the tips and for sure I'll try them on. This weather is killing me lol.
    XX

    Trendy Feeling

    ReplyDelete
  2. really great post! love your suggestions!!

    http://www.kellinasthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice post! Love those rules! and you blog is so lovely!
    xoxo
    www.lesismoreblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post! Your blog is amazing!
    I'm following :)

    http://www.martasfashiondiary.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW great blog amazing pics!

    http://jmbfk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. Don't think I would manage to cut back on coffee though. :(

    http://www.tea-and-cocktails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so awesome. I'm taking the liberty to add a number 11 to your list: Jump on a plane and go somewhere warm! I guess that's a little bit dramatic.
    xo
    girlintheyellowdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. amaziiiiiing! absolutely agree!
    happy 201333333

    www.malesclutch.blogspot.com
    Sergio,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this post, great advices!

    Ana,
    Alex Von B

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous look, adoring your blog!
    wishing you a very happy new year!

    lots of love from the c&p girls,
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree that exercise is completely necessary to keep up your mood and everything during the winter! Diet is huge too, I try to keep as much veggies and fruit in my diet throughout the cool seasons, I do notice it boosts my mood and immune system!
    I really hope you're feeling better, terrible you were so sick before! I certainly hope you were back to 100% for christmas <3

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella
    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice post honey, i love remediess

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. so cute! thanks lucia! I think those are the steps for a happy life! they are kind of my everyday routine! and i love it!!!
    have an amazing year
    your friend
    ana

    www.ohmycaramel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Very nice to meet you! Thank you so much for leaving a comment and taking the time to read my story. I really appreciate you visiting my blog and I will visit you as well.

Lots of Love,
Lucia Flores